Saturday, May 12, 2012

Protect your Joints

Last year, I saw a doctor who gave me a picture of what I could look like 10, 20 years from now - if I don't take care of my joints.  He scared the hell out of me.  He couldn't understand English and I couldn't understand Japanese.  But the picture he showed me was more than enough to get me thinking and to push me to do some research.
 
There's a wealth of resources on how we can take care of our joints.  I found this article most helpful - Managing Your Condition,12 Ways to Protect Your Joints,By Fran Smith, Special to Lifescript

Reviewed By Edward C. Geehr, M.D.,Published May 10, 2012 
 
The article spelled-out 12 ways of how we can keep our joints healthy.  
 
1.  Lose weight - the knee can't handle the extra load.
2.  Get active - physical activity reduces the stress to our joints
3.  Strengthen your abs - gives stability and movement control
4.  Lear Tai Chi - physical and mental exercises, combined, reduces risks t o our joints
5.  Run, but do it moderately
6.  Eat fish, fish, fish
7.  Stand straight, sit straight, walk straight
8.  Avoid high heels
9.  Lighten your handbag
10.  Exercise throughout the week, not just on weekends
11.  Eat healthy - process foods are harmful to the joints
12. When it's painful: stop and rest
 
There's  a lot more to it and you can go on and read the whole article.  But what struck me most was that - there's really nothing new in this list.  The tips are very simple, very easy to understand.  So, why are we not following them?

1 comment:

  1. Now, a lot of people, particularly physical fitness gurus continue to be depressed about the boasts of organizations in which produce and sell these types of belts but should you were to analyze online or even inquire folks directly that contain utilized the particular abdominal exercise belt, you would probable listen to just good things.

    ReplyDelete